Monday, September 26, 2011

Oliver + S Penguin Backpack

I'm so proud of this one! Don't you love it when you try something new - something a little challenging - and you manage to pull it off beautifully? Not that there weren't mistakes made along the way (the seam ripper is my friend), but I just love the way this one turned out. The pattern is from a library book I checked out recently: Oliver + S Little Things to Sew.

(ta-da!)


This book is wonderful! I wish that all commercial patterns were this well made and easy to follow. The patterns in this book range from really fairly easy patterns that would be perfect for beginners, to patterns like the backpack, which are a bit more challenging (zipper, lining, interior pockets) but still totally accessible to someone new to sewing.

(interior lining)


But on to the backpack... the photos in the book showed a fairly subdued penguin in dark blue. I decided to use a brighter blue, and a brighter yellow for the beak and feet.

One of my favorite parts is the little hand-stamped label I made with Hugh's name.

(note the adorable bunny butt stamp)

Hugh is not nearly as enthusiastic as I am. I had to bribe him with chocolate to wear it for these photos.

(here he is looking at the wall, where I lied and said there was a bug)

If you're interested in the hand-stamped clothing labels, there is a great little tutorial here. I had a hard time finding the Versacraft fabric ink pad at any of the local chain craft/fabric stores, and ended up getting it from Overstock. You never know when they'll run out of something, but it would be worth looking there first - it was the least expensive place I found it on-line. I loved the author's sources for stamps and fancy twill tape, but I just used plain twill tape from Jo-Anne Fabrics, and some stamps that my dear friend gave me years ago. Please let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for letting me share my backpack project!

Oh, and here's an extra photo of Hugh sporting a new shirt I made for him and a little sneak peek of some new pants I made for him. More on those soon!

1 comment:

  1. This is adorable! How long did it take you to make it you think? And my favorite part is the label too. :) I'm thinking about getting that fabric ink to stamp some of Sophie's plain onesies- do you think that would work? Or does the ink dry pretty stiff?

    ReplyDelete